Monday 25 September 2023

Orbital Battle Command - First Live Test Game

We had a test run of the first draft rules last weekend (2023-09-17).

As per previous post it all went swimmingly.

These are just a few pics of the game.

Board and terrain was impromptu, but worked very well and was surprisingly immersive. Plus, heavy wooden blocks stop my clumsy digits knocking tiny things over (quite so easily).  Would be a bitch to transport around though.

Anyways, this is just after the start of the first turn. My friend was running Space Marines, and I had Tyranids.

The board was about 3x3'. we were playing roughly 100pt or a bit over, mainly to try different unit types and fill the board a bit.  We had objectives on our back lines worth 3 VP to the other player (only) and 3 objectives in the middle worth 1 VP each.


Turn 2 and 3 tended to conglomerate units in the mid-board.  My impression is that there were so few rules in the game that we were able to remember most stuff, i.e. pinned markers, card+2or3 only causes one wound etc.

And turn 4 saw both sides with depleted units, and trying for the end-line objectives.

The Marines (land speeder) pushed up on my back line objective, but I had a full squad of Termagants close enough to get back and contest (played a strategic card for a triple move).  Conversely, I ran some Genestealers up the side and onto my friend's back line objective, and was able to surround it.
I guess a point is that movement is worthwhile, and you don't have to just bash away in the middle.  As usual with all TTWG, play the objectives.

Final state from the other end.

The turn-by-turn VP progress looked like this - I recorded the held VP at the end of each turn, and sum at the end.

Turn 1:     d2    c1

Turn 2:     d1    c1

Turn 3:     d0    c2

Turn 4:     d1    c3

Total:      d4    c7


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment