Monday 25 September 2023

Orbital Battle Command (OBC) - A New Game... Kinda...

"WHAT ! Another new game? That's typical. You say you have too many games already and not enough time to play them all."

Kinda... thing is... I'm not buying into a new system.  I'm making my own.

This is a project/thought experiment I've been toying with for a while, at least mid-2021.

Specifically I wanted to develop a new game;

a)  where I could use my 6mm models, and I didn't have to play Epic,

b)  that is simpler than Epic but still provides a substantive table top wargame experience (i.e. a worthwhile/narrative/strategic battle).

c)  that uses cards and a blind bid system for combat and anything requiring randomness - rather than the (wargame ubiquitous) dice, because...

And I think I've done it.

I'm giving it the working title Orbital Battle Command  [Previous working title(s)  'Kill Zone Commander',  before that  'Battlefront Commander']

I checked a bunch of things on BoardGameGeek and all the most obvious, no-brainer names have been used, sometimes multiple times over the years.  The title has changed a dozen times already but I'm sure I'll eventually find one that feels right.


The statement, 'there's nothing new under the sun,' applies. It would not be entirely unfair to call this a mash up between Epic, One Page Rules, and Euchre. All games I've played and enjoyed over the years.

Anyways, I'm relatively proud of the result, probably more so than my attempted rejigging of other games.  I like my 'One Page Zona', but this is something new and exciting all together.

I've had 2 or 3 move-models-around tests to work out mechanics, and even a small full game. Yeah, I forgot stuff (like all games I play), the kind of nuance aspect, but... overall... I think it worked pretty well.  A blind bid system doesn't work so well when you're playing both sides.

Update: I was fortunate enough to have a 'live' test game on the weekend and it went awesomely. As planned, no showstoppers or on-the-fly rewrites required. Bloody awesome.

- - -

To add some details in regards to the original points.

a-b)  I don't hate Epic, but I wanted to develop something simpler. Epic armies have lots of gotchas which I wanted to get rid of and I wanted to have a far simpler combat system. Both of these aspects make playing pick up games every few months or more as much about relearning/remembering the game as strategic gamesmanship.

c)  What can I say? Dice hate me. Having a fixed dice threshold you have to beat is common and now a bit boring. The dice pass or fail you, and before anyone says, maximise your dice and opportunities to use them.  Of course.  That's the plan.  And plans last as long as the first contact with the enemy.

So rather than sticking with this tried/tired methodology, the players draws a number of cards and play the one they think will get them the win. Obviously higher is better, but there might be cases where playing a high card is a waste or other concerns - which is where the 'strategic' aspect applies.

- - -

Update: On the basis that the basic version (limited units, most basic interactions) was a success I've added in a few more caveats and features, built on top of the basic version.  Things like transports... shields... a few more unit types etc.

What I don't want to do is make the game more complex just in order to be able to make more unit types. It's meant/going to be a 'lite' version of Epic.

Things like transports are going to be necessary on larger games (6x4') so I think there's going to be things to include if it's to scale up.  3x3' was really good, it was fun, but it should have other options.  I felt my 2x2' experimental game was a bit cramped/close so probably 3x3' is a recommended minimum, and don't expect phenomenal results below that size.

There didn't seem to be any particularly OP units in the test game. The point calculation seems 'reasonable'.  At 3x3' a 100pt limit seemed ok - though we went a over that limit on both sides.  

Anyways, I'm excited about the future possibilities of it.

Being 'rules only' there's no scope for commercial opportunities which is fine as that doesn't interest me anyway.  It's more like a 'minigeddon', fan offering. Which is fine.

- - -

This is the current version of the rules, which I'll be keeping updated as I add new stuff or tweak them.

Orbital Battle Command (pdf)

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment