Friday 27 November 2020

Betrayal at Calth (BaC) - Old Project, New Movement - Part 2

Original Draft 2020-11-23

It seemed to take ages but the Orks have progress in the paint department. 

They're all base coloured, they've all got basing done. The only difference is that the ones on the right do not have the metal washer in the base.

I'm at a stage where I can possibly looking at splashing some washes around to get some class happening with them. And I think I possibly will [ed: I did].


Update 2020-11-25

Calling this 'painting done'. This is all the force now with added washes. Didn't bother with dry brushing - too much work for not enough extra pop.


They will no longer fit in this box so other accommodations required.

I need to whip out to bunnings and pick up some washer for the new models (and also the Horrors). The extra weight really helps stop them tipping (plus magnets etc).

These all also need some clear coat to protect them. Will do that first. I sometimes don't count that as painting (so boring, but worth it)...

update ends


Update 2020-11-25

The Orks are just done with the first coat of clear sealant. One more to go.

Got some 8mm washers (outside diameter of the washer is 3/4" which is the telling measurement). Also some more epoxy. Started gluing them into bases. Did the Horrors since they're done with painting.

Had to cut out slot grooves on the Pink Horrors, but the Blue and Yellows had plain bases which makes things soooo much easier.  Stupid slota bases.

The Blue and Yellows need a slight bit of padding so i used the packaging from the epoxy (thin carboard thickness was all that was required - brings the washer flush with the rim of the plastic base).

This to hold the washer in place as the epoxy hardens. Bloody pegs, ridiculously helpful hobby tool. Think i'll get some for my hobby mates for xmas. And the paddlepop sticks are very useful too.

I guess it's like with real woodwork, you can never have too many clamps.

Once the epoxy is set and the washer aren't going anywhere I smooth on some gap filler and now wait for it all to dry before sanding.

The weight in the bases makes a big difference stopping models tipping. Especially applies to tall models, aka the blue and especially pink Horrors, and all the Orks have Choppa's (big ol' orky cleavers) raised too, so they tip.

This is the plaster filler I have/use. The brand is pretty irrelevant but this stuff is perfectly acceptable. The 5 litre tub however is very handy. Getting little tubes is annoying and far more expensive in the long run.

If you're making rock/terrain pieces then you can just goop it on without a care in the world.

The only down side is that sometimes it gets 'liquidy' and can get a bit of mould. This can be scrapped off and disposed of and the remainder is fine.  This is the second 5 litre tub I've had since I've started hobbying but it lasts years with 'normal' use.

'Arts and Crafts' for somewhat bigger kids.

update ends


Update 2020-11-26

The Horrors are completely done. Completely. Washers in, paint touched up. No point with pics as they look exactly the same.

The Orks got washers last night and are awaiting the plaster to dry before finishing.

I have briefly considered the 'boxing' situation. I'm considering decommissioning my Epic filament armies, and reusing their boxes. These armies are/have been replaced by resin prints and I've offered them out to locals as proxy armies - not a lot of takers... not a lot of games so not a lot of reason to.

Anyway, I think the first (black templar) of those will be zip locked bagged and placed in storage sooner rather than later.

I do actually have a couple of spare art boxes around but they don't have magnetic sheets in them (as yet). Probably prefer to just recycle some space at the moment. 

update ends


Update 2020-11-27

The Orks are completely done. Completely. Again they look the same, so no pic.

I have, since last update, bagged and archived the filament templars and now have the Chaos Demons and Orks sharing the box.


This will do until such stage as I'm ready to review the Chaos Marines, as they will probably share the box with the Demons, and the Orks will then need new digs.  I'm unlikely to add any further Demons or Chaos Marines to what I have (more than enough for BaC-ing).

It is extremely unlikely that I will be adding any further Orks. I'm not a huge fan and I probably would have only brought that add-on box if it was going for dirt cheap (so long ago I can't remember where or when I got it).

However, I am very much hanging to get these Orks on the board for some dice rolling. Just for a change from Chaos Marines.

Project done !!

update ends


update 2020-11-28

Brought the boards out and rolled some dice. Super-hot here today so indoor and low impact activities only. 


Had about 3 or maybe even 4 games. Can't remember exactly.

I made a really nupty error early on, thinking that Orks were Stamina/HP 1 when actually they are 2. So they were dying like crazy for my first game, which resulted in my bring out more and more of them. During the second game I had the 'ooops' moment and realised they should have been a whoooole lot more resilient.

The next game they went from being underpowered to powered and grossly over-catered. Anyway it was fun pitting the Marines against hordes of Orks (hey, they were out anyway). Fun was had by all.

Next time I'll start with matched (point) lists and try that again.  

I put a small squad of jump pack marines on the table as well and an Ork Boss.

I think I have some Terminators for the Marines (one of my homebrew chapters) but they're not in the usual box. Have a feeling they're kind of in a "still painting base colours and in a box somewhere" phase. Might look them up for shiggle, to get some options for the force.

update ends



update 2020-11-29

Just chatter this time. I ran the 'matched' lists. 1x Sgt, 1x HeavyBolter, 8x Tactical vs 2x Nobz and 10x Boyz.

The first game the Orks swarmed, and the Marines missed too much or didn't take enough shots. Once in CC range the Orks are absolutely brutal with each model putting out 4 dice (12 dice per unit) so even if you survive for a counter attack you'll be hitting back with less models. I think the Orks might have lost half their force before the Marines were tabled. I also made the mistake of moving the Marines up to far. The Orks have no choice as their Sluggas only have a range of 3 so in generally they have no option but to rush the other end. 

The second game the marines held back and controlled a handy firing lane. I think they only lost 2 models before the Orks were tabled. This Marines configuration is very much a shooting loadout so getting into CC is a really bad idea.

The third game I added 2x Chainsword/BoltPistol to the Sgt unit, boosting the Marines CC presence slightly. I also added 2x Boyz and 1x HeavyShoota, giving the Orks some long ranged capability - not too much as I still wanted the emphasis to be on a charging horde. The 'hold the line' tactics from the Marines had them whittling down the Orks before they could get into CC. 

And that was all I could be bothered with for the session.  Very entertaining and the Orks prove quite tough when sporting the right amount of HP. Basically the points match was OK. 

update ends


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment