Thursday 12 November 2020

Betrayal at Calth (BaC) - Old Project, New Movement - Part 1

Original post circa 2020-10-29

The box game, Betrayal at Calth contains a fantastic skirmish rules system. One of my favourite ways to roll dice. Not commonly played or used this way however.   I tend to use it as a solo narrative 'space play' system.

I've used token marines vs tyranids mainly which has been fun.

A few months ago I played the Wrath and Glory sessions and there we encountered Tzeentch Horrors: pink, blue and yellow demons. These critters were quite fun... challenging... annoying. But fun and more importantly, memorable.

So after months of contemplation I ordered a box of each (pinks are one box, blues and yellows are the other).

These are now assembled and awaiting paint. I will be dropping the new contrast paints on them in an attempt to get them done quickly.

The main idea here is that i will run 'chaos' in the Calth framework.

I already have a good set of chaos marines, and I also have bloodletters which are my favourite type of chaos demons. And now I will have the pinks/blues/yellows which can be added for variety.  The marines vs marines are a bit too same:same - enjoyable occasionally but it's nice to have asymmetric forces as well.

As I was rummaging through my boxes of stuff in storage I also found my orks, which I'd used with Calth too but less than the nids.  Plus I had a build+paint box that has been sitting around forever which I will add cos why not.

So some new orks and some new chaos demons.

Orks, chaos and tyranids as opposing forces. nice.

I was looking at all these models with a critical eye. These were done before I really started looking at washes and dry brushing. Pretty much everything is just all blocked in base colours.  I theoretically could look at doing some washes to everything.  The Horrors will look pretty fancy compared to the other stuff.... we'll see.


Update 2020-11-03

Some paint happened. The Horrors got a black undercoat then just a single coat of grey ('grey sear', it's a surprisingly good base).


Orks black base coat. Currently working on the base colours, up to leadbelcher so still a couple of days before they're ready to box. Will look for a decent boxing option for them - am actually contemplating how I'm going to box/store the models that I use for BaC... haven't got a solution, just contemplating. [ed: still contemplating]

And contrast paint for all the Horrors.

The blue and pink shades are two dark out of the bottle so I will be dry brushing on some lighter shades before doing anything else with them.  The pink in the bottle IS a glorious plum/crimson, pretty close to my favourite colour.  Anyway, progress on everything. Yhay.
update ends


Update 2020-11-06

The blues and brimstones are done. Pinks still on the way, not far from done.


update ends


Update 2020-11-12

I'm calling this the end of part 1.  The Pink Horrors are done...

which means all the Horrors are done....


Turned out as well I'd have hoped for. Just used the box art as the 'goal' and it went as expected.

The contrast paints worked ok, I think they have a legitimate place in the tool box.

The orks are taking longer than projected and I'll most likely be zuzhing the old ones up and who knows what else so that will be a part 2.

update ends


update 2020-11-20

Not a build update. Pulled the board, dice and models out and just rolled up a couple of 10 minute games. So quick, so simple, so elegant.

You theoretically could run it just on a non-hexed table and use a tape measure but it's nice that you don't have to. 

Bloody stellar.

update ends


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment