Thursday 28 October 2021

Kill Team - More Games

Since KT post one I've played a number of games... more than 6... less than 12... dunno exactly.

My impression on the system is still that is very good. There haven't been too many 'marginal cases' (where I've felt like I've had to house-rule things) or unanswered questions leaving me stumped and requiring a research break mid-game. Fairly happy.

Works great for a narrative game where you're basically just making a story up with some random results thrown in. The fun stuff.

I've played mainly marines vs chaos marines but in the latest session I played a couple of games with marines vs bloodletter demons.

This was an interesting case for two reasons: i) the bloodletters only have melee weapons, meaning that the engaged/concealed order are virtually pointless, ii) the bloodletters are 2AP vs the marines 3AP.

It's interesting getting some different forces in there rather than (more-or-less) same vs same.

From my games so far I noticed that the chaos marines appear to be slightly better than regular marines with slightly better stats and options, however I haven't been using any tactics cards or anything like that so perhaps the factions balance out given those considerations.

The first game I played with the demons was 1 set of bloodletters vs 1 set of marines. The bloodletters were totally overpowered and then I realised they should have had 2 squads. 

So that's what I did next, and it was substantially better.

6 marines on the right.


12 bloodletters on the left.

At the end of the game I think the vp was 8 marine vs 4 bloodletters. The extra activation point seemed to help the marines, providing the ability to snag an object and then also do something meaningful like shoot or move.

The bloodletters on the other hand could only move and grab the objective, or charge and fight. so that felt very limiting.
That said they could be very brutal when they made it into melee, with a couple of marines were taken out in just one fight round.

At the end of the game (end of turn 4) there were only 3 bloodletters left...

...and 2 marines.

Definitely getting familiar with the mechanics and continuing to learn some other (such as shooting to/from elevation, climb, drop). There were also some updates and faq released recently. 

I repeatedly found the chaos heavy bolter guy was a bit of a waste, continually using his AP for grabbing objectives, and he probably fought more close combat than shooting actions (which I think he rarely did). 

Conversely if they climb up and get a good position they are making shots, but only use 1 AP of 3AP available, and the results of shooting were not compensating for it... so, yeah... not super efficient.

Still plenty of things to learn and try. I'm vaguely contemplating trying bloodletters combined with the pink/blue horrors as I think the tzenetch demons have shooting attack available. Alternately I could throw in some cultists (seconded from the Blackstone models)(though that wouldn't be an 'official' faction matchup).

Another observation is that winning the initiative at the start of the turn can really swing the fortunes of the force... which is fairly standard in these types of games. It certainly adds suspense.

I'm also considering getting a couple of 'character' models. For example, when I built the bloodletters and pink horrors I built them all as the basic 'soldier', so no 'icon bearers' or fancy whatnots. These characters might add some flavourful variation to the forces... however, it's possible there will be KT specific releases in the future rendering that moot. If I can pick something up for cheap on ebay etc I might consider it.


Update 2021-10-28

A new expansion box is being released in the immediate future which I'm strongly contemplating getting. It's Tau vs Sisters of Battle, again, not forces I feel strongly towards, but again, more variety.

Point being that they appear to be continuing to release and support the system, so hopefully soon some sets that I actually do like. Wait and see.


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment