Wednesday 17 March 2021

Zona Alfa - Human Plant Anomaly

I'm just going to publish this and keep WIP adding to it as it progresses.

One of the things I enjoy about the fb group for ZA is the appreciation of terrain and 'props' in making the game come to life. 

A recurring comment within the group references the 'human plants' in the movie Annihilation, which commonly includes the pic below... 


There's actually some variations that are fairly nifty too.

Haven't yet seen the movie yet, though I have a dvd on the way from ebay and have watched some clips for it. The movie did not rate well (which doesn't surprise me really) but the visual concepts are fun, creepy and well realised.

Yesterday I thought to myself, "have a  go", so I did. Base structure made from left over printer filament, then some twist-tie wire, greenstuff and wood glue. Then some paint. and finally some static grass and foliage. I really like this birch foliage.

Here is the end result. Not a great pic, but quite hard to capture it. It's not finely detailed, more of a capture-the-concept piece.

Standard model to show size...

They're not really detailed or menacing enough to be zone hostiles, so I decided to make a couple more which I'll then put on a single larger base. This will be an anomaly feature piece - aka a mission objective.

There is a new supplement coming out/intended for ZA which will focus more on exploration and skills rather than being combat-focused.
It is anticipated that this will require more anomalies, so I'm slowly reviewing the anomalies I have with the intention of sprucing them up and/or potentially make some new ones.

There was recently a build-an-anomaly comp on the group which I didn't have any inspiration for, was a great idea and some fantastic pieces were presented, I just couldn't think of anything that felt inspired.

Will put up a 'finished' pic once the extra models are complete and the piece is done. Am out of twist-ties.  [later: just remembered i had some fine gauge wire that i used for epic trees. wire and wood glue done.]


2021-03-18

Finished off the figures, then wood glued the bases to a mdf plate.

Then a layer of wall plaster to hide the figure bases. Will take a while to dry given the current weather (wet as). After that, base coat of black, then astrogranite then some finishing. Will probably get a small stick to make a log just to add something to the ground cover.


2021-03-21
Well, project done.

It will do, looks better in real life as usual. I may give it a coat of clear spray once the weather dries up (so much rain). We'll see.

In other adjacent news I retired 2 of the 3 crystal anomalies that I made a while back. The only one i kept was the swirly clear crystal one which I always use in games anyway. I did the base up a bit as it was not finished. Just the usual astrogranite treatment.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment