Sunday 8 October 2023

Orbital Battle Command - Second Live Test Game

After the first successful test run and my picking at the rules for a couple of weeks we got in a second test game.

I was not lazy and brought some terrain and effects to set the scene this time round, ha.


My game buddy ran Marines and I gave the Knight Household list a run.  We were running approximately 150-200pt and about 9 units a side.  


The mid-zone ended up quite sporty with transports zipping infantry forward (as intended).  Occurred to me that the transports run not entirely dissimilar to OPR transports.  The all reds vs all blacks card packs seems to work as well (or better) than single suit.


Infantry in cover worked as anticipated. The transports are... slightly unsatisfactory.  Possibly too resilient and can just sit on an objective where they end out slapping away at each other indefinitely... so a bit boring.  Going to need to have to contemplate this a bit more.


We ended up contesting each others base objectives.  The addition of destroying enemy units counting toward VP (optional objectives) made combat feel a bit more purposeful rather than just using it to get units off objectives.

There were several decent combat points aiming at the objectives.

There are no mechanics that cause units to flee (blast markers/breaking) which means you can get damaged units to stick around which I kinda like.  It actually bugs me that soldiers conditioned to get nom'd or fight to the death just run off.  Sure they lose effectiveness (have -1 card) but where do they think they're going to go.

And in the end it was a pretty decent, interesting battle. Didn't feel particularly one-sided or that anything was particularly over powered.  Our final VP totals 6:4 with me just ahead. 

I will still need to tweak points a bit, but the mechanics of everything still worked well.

Shields and Macro were a win in my opinion.


The question now is;  what to do with the game now?  not much really. It's a purpose built project and it's kinda done.  I've made it available but it's not something that can be made 'commercial'.  Anyone who wants to give it a try... well... enjoy.   I'll keep tweaking and contemplating as is my way and just to make it as best I can, but it's eminently playable.  Cards over dice is a fantastic adjustment.


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment