Saturday 27 August 2022

Zona Alfa - New Additions (Small Suburbia) - pt2

[Original draft 2022-08-10]

Amongst the recent orders I got some pieces from brutal cities. 2x of the 'Cabbage Palms' apartments, and 1x of the 'Vantann Small' office blocks...


The idea with these additions is to be able to build some small, edge-of-the-city suburbia. A couple of low-rise apartment blocks and a similarly low-key office building.
These are intended to be the 'hub' of the local shops and then possibly a couple of single story generic habs around that.

Something vaguely like this...
That's on a 900x900mm board just for scale. Colours just to denote different types.

By the time I add in scatter and trees and fences and I picked up crappy vehicles... it should be suitable.


[Update 2022-08-27]
Oki doke. Got these guys done, which is actually all the new stuff complete. Yhay. 

They're just super-simple paint jobs. Rattle-can unders. Then blocking in minimal colours bits, floors, gubbins. Then null oil over everything. Very limited dry brush.  Happy enough with them.

I have no other terrain that goes this high, so that's a nice new feature. Mainly from a visual point of view. The ship and warehouse have some high points I guess.

Looking forward to making a table or two with all these new piece. They're perhaps a little plain on their own but once they're in context I'm sure they're going to create something exceptional.

Then I need to work out the storage situation, eeek.

So... I don't think I have any sub-conscious desires to add anything else to the collection... not that I know of, hahaha. 


[Update 2022-09-04]

So I managed to pull the terrain box upstairs and make a start on building a table... but that really stalled when a migraine was triggered somehow.  Oh well, suffice to say I didn't have much motivation to set up a table, let alone roll dice and play a game.

So I kind of just mustered the relevant sets of things I'd been working on...
The more 'urban' pieces. I'm not convinced at all about the mix. The adobe huts don't much well enough imo. I could potentially do with a few 'lo-rise' apartments to fit the apartments and office and perhaps blend into the other buildings.
I'm also considering making some more of these low-tech roads.  as well as roads they can stand is as asphalt carparks or just open sealed surfaces.

And the 'rural' pieces. Nuf said.

So between both of these I've more than got a 6x4' covered in terrain. And that's not even tapping into the military or warehouse pieces.
Basically there's more than enough for 2x or even 3x   6x4's simultaneously.


Finally - the new pieces don't fit into the boxes. No great surprise there. I have recollection of 'shallow' storage boxes, as in a 1/3rd of the height of 'regular' boxes. I'm contemplating looking for one of those for the ZA terrain overflow. It might hold the trees and swamp sub-boxes... dunno.  Anyways just contemplating options at this stage.


Update 2022-09-06
I got a new storage box but only a 'shallow' one (90L).  It's about 10-12" tall which comfortably fits the new apartments when assembled, the office on its side and I put in my 'corridor' terrain box as well. There's also room for some more 'expansion', but hopefully that will take years. At least that's the intention.


Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment