Monday 22 August 2022

Old Gear - Grimdark Future - Kraits Divergent

When I was trialling One Page Rule (OPR) / Grimdark Future (GF) naturally I went and grabbed some squads from my different 40k models.

By default, for just regular/standard/old marines (they did an update a few years ago and made everything taller -> annoying) I like to use my homebrew chapter, the Kraits Divergent.  This is a chapter I put together when I was on an old forum and was interested in working up some fluffy background and fiction and so on.

So anyway, it turns out I was minus some models I wanted to use (Terminators) so I ran the trial with another bunch of old-marines I have.
But after that I dug out the Kraits again.
With a worthy system to play they're now likely to get some table time.

I had a squad of Terminators that I assembled years ago (years as in 7+, not years as in 2) for this force but they got boxed before getting a lick of paint.
So I got everything out and painted the new terminators.
I had original through of upskilling all of the models, applying techniques that I'd learned in the intervening years, but I decided against.
Instead, I painted the new Termi's to a similar, basic finish as the main force.

This was, I admit, partly laziness. I just couldn't be bothered detailing 30+ models at the moment, even if it was probably 'just' washes and dry brushing.

However, as I was looking at them I felt growing sentimentality for the basic style I used to have.
I happened to be repainting some of the KT Templar models while I was paint the Terminators and the difference/improvement in technique is substantial.
Anyway I kind of like having this reminder of my progress.
No, they're not my best work but they're still table-worthy, and if I feel inspired one day then I guess they might get zuzhed up then.

This is all of them. They're an under-resourced, light-weight force based on their fluff. Lots of assault marines. Not a lot of heavy/vehicles.

Two squads of 5 assault marines with jet packs. The helmets are an obvious, non-standard feature, probably ordered from Anvil way back when. And most of the sergeants have 'deathshroud' helmets which I really like too (ebay).

The commander (captain) with chainaxe, shield, jump pack... all the goodies, and possibly a chaplain skull helmet.
And the tactical marines, by majority bolters, plus heavy bolter, flamer, 2x melta guns.  Very little in the way of plasma, done as a stylistic choice. 

Foot slogging assault marines.

As the Kraits are no long part of the Imperium (and would be attacked by loyalist forces if they crossed paths) they no longer stick to standard marines practices. An obviously expression of this is in rank symbolism. Sergeants have a red chevron. Captains have a red star.  Can't remember if I made any intermediate ranks between those in the fluff.

Jet pack assault marine veterans, with bonus helmet zuzh (also Anvil).

And the new Terminators. Suitably painted to theme, and I'm happy with the results.

Their kit bashed Storm Talon support craft. Filament printed wing extenders from my very first printer.  Very basic stuff, but sometimes it's nice to just appreciate its part in the development process.

This reminds me that I actually have a Storm Raven (transport aircraft) sitting in a box unassembled which was meant for these guys too. I'm a little hesitant to put it together as it's probably not going to see table time, and might inspire escalation of the opposing forces as well (which I'm not keen on)... Maybe one day.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment