Monday 3 May 2021

Necromunda - Van Saar - Done

It appears that it has been a while since my last brain dump.  Haven't done tonnes of hobby stuff, but seem to have got some done.

Two games days have come and gone since my last post. On both occasions I had one game of Titanicus in the morning and one game of Necromunda in the arvo.

It seems that I'll do just about anything to avoid painting AT titans, which in this context means I finished off my Van Saar gang for Necromunda.

Here is the family photo with everyone in there.


To be fair I was waiting on a weapons pack that I only received on the first of those game days before getting on with this particular project - it hadn't stalled from lack of interest.

Subsequently finished off assembly of the hoverboards, special weapons extras and 3d printing up an arachni-rig, just for fun.

The arachni-rig was a bugger to glue together as the print was... somewhat meh. no idea why, everything printed more or less ok, but the arm connection points were dubious... superglue eventually held and then epoxy afterwards to solidify the arms, so it's solid enough.
And looks fine from arms length.

It is quite a lot of models for a gang (29), and I don't think I'll need any additions in the future (near or far) - that's it. Unless they bring out a funky new model or something, which would probably be a while off. I think there might even be some left over body bits on the sprue that I couldn't be bothered assembling even. Really done.

Why so many?

Two reasons:
a) It is common for VS to run a lot of lasgun/lascarbine models as the bulk of the force. The VS models are relatively quite expensive so spamming this relatively cheap model/loadout is one way to get your body count (activations) up, which is fairly important.
b) A bit under half of the smaller/regular models are fitted with special weapons. These are the gang Champions/Leaders and although you only need one or two per game it's nice to be able to choose from multiple option which one you'll use.

It's looking like Necromunda might be the flavour of the month for 2021 - quite a bit of interest and quite a few players with gangs done or underway (both my usual hobby buddies and others too, so a chance to meet more folk).

We're still in the  small games / rules-looking-up   stage at the moment, but as we're getting more games under our belts the games flow smoother and with less confusion, especially on the basics which is good.

Am quite enjoying it all, and looking forward to putting these guys on the table again soon.


Update 2021-06-21

While focusing on 'core' gangers for the crew I overlooked 'Juves'. These are less experienced gang members often used (by other factions) as cannon fodder - VS are meant to be more long-term however.

That said they're cheap bodies with worst stats that boost your activations. Well worth looking into, or at least having the option available. 

I raided my left over VS sprues and managed to put together 4 Juves - 3 with laspistol and 1 with lasgun. Nothing spectacular but happy I kept the left overs. 

Has a look at my list spreadsheet and was able to easily put together 9-10 person lists at 1,000pts. Don't know if they'd be my preferred options, but proves the point. Seems friendlier than 6-7 bodies.

update ends


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment