Thursday 18 January 2024

Epic - Chaos Marines

And we're done!

After the Eldar I swore off printing more Epic, but here's another army done...  [sigh]

I'm pretty happy with the results. There's enough there to play a full strength game, plus some extras to allow some list build flexibility.  And enough variety within the unit types to have some interest.

And now a few closer shots...




And they're boxed up.  Ideally I'll get another Modifx bag [ed: yes, yes I did] like the other armies... probably some chaos dice too.  It's almost inevitable.  I like things the same.

Compared to previous armies the quality of these prints is notably sub-par.  Difficult to see until you look closely, but I know and can see the issues if I look closely.  But, from arms length they're fine for gaming.  That's a big 'pro' of such small models,  the details are minimal and if an arm is a bit flat or a hull is slightly warped you don't notice it as much as you would on a 28mm model.

I'm now (of course) swearing off any more armies (again), especially another self-printed army, and I can't see myself getting models from 3rd party suppliers either,  I do like the (potential) control of what I add to the force (when/if the damn printer works).

My "goal" in so far as I have one is to have a mix of different forces that I have as options (for demos or just if I want some variety in what I play myself).  I have Black Templar (Marines),  Deathguard (30k Marines),  Custodes,  Biel Tan Eldar,  and now Chaos Marines.

So Marines, Eldar and Chaos Marines in terms of 'main' factions.  Which is an ok effort.  In an ideal world I'd probably also make a Tyranid army, and an Ork army, and perhaps a Imperial Guard themed army in order to cover ALL the main/old school factions.  But my appetite for making more has definitely evaporated.

And I'd like to finish off the Titan/Knights army replacements given I have all the Titans and Knights and "just" need to finish off the support units. But like the Custodes and Deathguard they're kind of a sub-faction.   Options are options of course.  Aaaand they actually play as two different factions which is also kinda fun.


Bag
Bagged up...
With the printer semi-permanently offline and no resin available I 'handmade' a token from the bag front.  This was a transparent acrylic disc (like I use in bases... I have a bag of these odd sized ones) which i glued on a chaos symbol and then dremelled out the recesses... kind of looks like carved stone/metal and I think it still fits the theme. 

There's plenty of room for dice.  Haven't ordered any yet.  Not in a great rush, but i'm sure it will happen at some stage.


Fluff
I have yet to work out precisely who these guys are.

They're too chaosy to be Kraits Divergant  and they're the wrong colour to be  Sons of  so I'll have to revise their history.  A fun little project for when I need a change of pace.


Event
I'm actually working on organizing an one-dayer Epic event at the game club. Not until July as we have an OPR campaign starting up which should be finished by then.

Not sure if these will be used there as doing the (minimal) organizing and also learning a new factions in and out may still be excessive for my tastes.  Quite likely I'll probably just run the Templars.  Chance to give them another campaign badge too.

Theoretically I might be able to get a learning game in with these guys between now and then with another local who, frankly, I largely copied his army and ideas for this build.  So he's experienced and can give me some pointers.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment