Monday 8 January 2024

Epic - Chaos Marines - Build - pt4

The second batch of 'makes' is now done.  This constitutes the remaining units I need to finish the army. So... yhay for that!


Not many numerically speaking compared to the first batch, but mainly large models.

It's probably 90% freshly printed models and some... kit bash or bought models.

There's two sets of different fliers.

Two sets of four defilers (the crab walker thingies, and yes one is facing the wrong way... there's always one dingus).

Plus two deathwheels,  one feral titan and  one decimator tank.

The deathwheels were somewhat painful to do, given I was still getting a small bit of warping on the prints, but I managed to patch them together and i'm still filling gaps and trying to make them a little less janky. Mainly the wheels themselves have gaps that need filling where they were joined.

The feral titan is store bought from the Warmachine range. Super easy to fit it into the list though and to be honest I really like the model. I had to cut and glue the right arm as it had that bolter looking thing on a left army out of the box.  Fun little project though.

The decimator is a 'chop shop' model. The center part is a fresh print. The tracks are stolen from a filament print stormblade I had in the old imp fist army.  The turrets on the sides were new prints that I had to cut and sand down into a semblance of fitting.  Not ideal, but it's an unusual model and was thoroughly sick of printing by this stage (these were the last things I printed before boxing the machine away again, and warping was getting worse again).

And that's that.  Still working on smoothing surfaces and gap filling but shouldn't be long before I can start on the painting.

All of them will be getting the quartered scheme, except the titan which will be predominantly a black scheme, just with dry brushing.  It's more a dark-mechanicus ring in so it's gets something different.

All up 17 models to finish (paint etc) before the army's all done.


Re Printing...

I had a big ol spak attack about my Photon printer some time ago.

This rant isn't going to be as bad, but I've had more than a few issues again.

Turns out there are 'environmental' issues that can affect the hardware according to the interwebs.

I ended up making (after some research and suggestions) some paper templates as it seems like there are electrical shorts (or something) that can happen within the machine.

It seemed to have a positive effect.

I started out with a bunch of ugly prints, but sometimes it was just printing 1 layer then crapping out the print job entirely (spontaneous rebooting).

I guess the point and reason for the retrospective is that these things are temperamental, and they do/can suffer from environmental effects, even if not the type that I was exploring/contemplating earlier.

So if they can short out (or something) based on contact with the resin tray, or the vat holder screws or whatever, then perhaps humidity or temperature can also have effects.

I feel more justified that I wasn't just going mental for the sake of it.

Anyway, the printer is boxed away, I have no resin left, and no desire whatsoever to print anything further. 


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment