Friday 30 August 2024

Hobby - Wood Work - Mon

Just a really quick something something...

All of the wooden weapons I've made have my symbol/icon/signature on them.


For recent pieces I've just engraved it on the item itself.  In prior eras I embedded a chit in the handle and engraved on that... just cos.

This symbol is referred to as a 'Mon' in (historical) Japanese culture.

Mine is a simple/stylized ant, and my workshop name is 'shiro-ari' or white ant - in probably mangled Japanese.


I chose this because my technique is largely centred around the sanding or gradual scraping or grinding of the piece to get the shape.   Unlike many wood techniques that do more planing or cutting (there's a difference).  I end up with a lot of wood dust... like a white ant  hahaha.

That's it.

Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment