Tuesday 19 January 2021

Zona Alfa - Forest... More Forest

original draft 2021-01-15

The forest scatter terrain that I made previously I was happy with, but on a full size board (only 4x4' really) the stands just can't provide the depth of cover/obstruction I'd like.

It certainly felt like I'd made more than 8 pieces... but reality demonstrates otherwise.

Here the trees provide some obscuring of the opposite side of the board, but very sparse...


And here I was getting the type of density I'm aiming for, but only in a very small area...

Before xmas I managed to find some cheap bulk batches of the same trees and ordered them - and they arrived over the last couple of days.

I've already started assembling these. They all on single layer mdf - the previous batch being 2x3mm layers. Not fussed, they should be sturdy enough on 1 layer.

That's a total of 17 new pieces.


There are 3x big bases (7 trees), 8x medium bases (5 trees) and 6x small bases (3 trees).
I probably could have ditched the big segments as most shapes can be constructed from the medium and small segments placed side by side. but... why not I guess.
The majority of the forest filler is still based around using the medium bases, and then extra filling/detail/shapes using the smaller pieces is the intention.

I have applied some wood glue at the bases to start fixing them in place. They're still all placed in holes drilled through the mdf base.

So slightly different construction method to the first lot but close enough to fit the theme.


update 2021-01-19

Calling it done. The clear coat is still wet but good enough - no further steps required.


Sprayed the hell out of the foliage to help stop it dropping too much foam blobbles.

They do look slightly different to the older batch but not enough to bother me. In fact I kind of like the variance in these organic pieces. Structures and uniforms not so much.  

Now I just need to find a box for all the forest pieces.

update ends


Until next time...


No comments:

Post a Comment